Music Education Post-Master's Supervisory Certification
The program consists of 15 credits, including three core courses and a six-credit field experience. In exceptional cases, an approved substitution may be made for one of the core courses.
The field experience demands a high degree of cooperation between the University and the school where the student is employed or assigned. The student is supervised by a faculty member from the department/area in which the certificate is sought. It is important that the candidate give due consideration to this aspect of the program, since in some cases it may be necessary for the student to take a sabbatical or leave of absence in order to meet the requirement of the field experience.
Except for secondary education and music, which do not have master's degree programs, consult the appropriate department section in this catalog for description of field experience.
Field experiences vary, but generic competencies apply to all program areas. These include:
- Knowledge of recent research and application of basic research tools and techniques to problems encountered in supervisory positions.
- The ability to work with paraprofessionals, teachers, student teachers and the auxiliary staff.
- Skill in curriculum planning and evaluation.
- Ability to coordinate supporting services to the major curriculum components, such as speech therapy, dental hygienist, and home and school visitors.
- Ability to review and assess various curriculum needs and recommended changes as deemed necessary.