Academic Catalog

Admission to Millersville University

Students may be admitted to Millersville University to work toward an undergraduate degree or to take college-level courses for self-enrichment or career development. Students already holding a bachelor’s degree may wish to pursue a second undergraduate degree. For more information on any of Millersville’s undergraduate admission programs, contact the Office of Admissions in the Lombardo Welcome Center at 717-871-4625, or visit the Millersville website at



To be considered for admission to Millersville University, one must be a graduate of an approved secondary school or hold a General Educational Development (GED) high school equivalency diploma. Traditional students applying directly from high school must have completed a college preparatory curriculum. Generally, the student’s academic program should include four units of academic English; three units or more of academic mathematics, minimally including algebra I, algebra II and geometry; three units or more of academic science, including two or more units of laboratory science, biology and chemistry with lab and any other inquiry-based lab or technical science; and three or more units of academic social science coursework. Foreign language coursework at the secondary level is recommended but not required for admission consideration. 

Millersville University is test-optional for applicants seeking admissions for 2024 and 2025. Any home-schooled applicant wishing to be considered for admission to Millersville University should be a graduate of an approved home school association program. A GED issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Education is preferred if the student has not completed an approved program of study. 

Admission to Millersville University is granted without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, handicap, marital status or lifestyle. Applications from qualified out-of-state students are welcomed; requirements for Pennsylvania resident status appear under the Expenses and Financial Aid section of this catalog.

All courses are taught in English, and students are expected to have demonstrated English language proficiency.


Prospective students are encouraged to apply electronically by following the undergraduate application instructions on the Millersville University website at For an application file to be considered complete, the following must also be submitted:

  1. An official high school transcript.
  2. SAT or ACT score reports (standardized test scores are not required).
  3. Personal statement.

Reference letters are recommended, but not required. These may be very valuable for a candidate with borderline academic qualifications if they help establish other exceptional qualities.


Millersville has a rolling admissions policy and usually notifies applicants of a decision within a month after completed forms and supporting credentials are received. High school students are encouraged to submit applications as early in their senior year as possible. Applicants may apply for admission to begin coursework in the fall, spring or summer semester. Those applying too late for the admission date of their preference will have their application considered for the next available admission date.


Applicants admitted to the fall semester at Millersville must pay a nonrefundable advance matriculation deposit no later than May 1, or 15 days after the date of the admission letter, whichever is later. Students admitted to University residence halls must also pay an advance housing deposit. These deposits are explained in the Expenses and Financial Aid section of this catalog.

Students must enroll in the semester for which they are admitted. Students who do not enroll must submit a written request for the deposit to be applied to the next semester. This request must be submitted prior to the first day of classes in the term for which admission was offered. Failure to enroll and/or submit the written request will result in withdrawal of the admission offer and forfeiture of the deposit.


Full- and part-time degree-seeking applicants must meet the same admission requirements.



Millersville University provides diverse, dynamic, meaningful experiences to inspire learners to grow both intellectually and personally to enable them to contribute positively to local and global communities. The Office of Student Access and Support Services (SASS) is a home base for students and families that provides individual support through academic and personal coaching with a holistic approach.

For more information, see the section under Services for Students.


In addition to completing general admission requirements, international applicants must submit a copy of their passport, proof of financial support and proof of English language proficiency if the applicant is from a non-majority English-speaking country. For regular admission (not through the English Language Institute), students must score a minimum of “70” on the TOEFL IBT or “6.0” on the IELTS. If the applicant takes and submits SAT scores that meet the University’s general admission standards, then the student does not also need to submit TOEFL/IELTS scores.

International transfer applicants with academic credentials from within the U.S. need to fulfill the general transfer admission criteria in addition to the documents previously mentioned for international applicants. If a transfer student completes the equivalent of Millersville’s English Composition 110 course with a “C” or better, they do not need to submit TOEFL/IELTS scores. Students transferring from a foreign higher education institution need to submit official transcripts with certified English translations (if applicable).


International applicants who do not meet the minimum English language requirement may be conditionally admitted to Millersville University through the English Language Institute (ELI). Upon arrival to campus, the ELI will administer a placement test to students to determine in which of the six levels they will begin their coursework.


Students who have completed a minimum of 12 transferable credits of coursework at another regionally accredited institution with an overall academic average of 2.0 or higher may be considered for admission as a transfer student. Applicants must submit an official college transcript from each institution previously attended. Transfer applicants with fewer than 12 transferable credits or less than 2.0 GPA must also submit a high school transcript.

Harrisburg Area Community College (HACC)/Reading Area Community College (RACC) and Millersville University Dual-Admissions Programs

These are dual-advisement programs designed to assist students who begin their studies at the community college and earn an associate degree prior to transferring to Millersville University. Partnership community college students can enter into an intended agreement for eventual transfer by submitting an intention form to the dual-admissions program (on the MU Admissions website). The Millersville University Admissions Office receives the student’s community college transcript at the completion of each semester and can receive specialized guidance, advisement and credit evaluations. Early in their final semester at HACC or RACC (prior to earning an associate degree), students will formally apply to Millersville for the semester. Additional program guidelines and benefits can be found on the MU Admissions website.

Transfer Credits

Evaluation of transfer credits from other institutions is done by the Registrar’s office after a student is officially admitted to the University. A preliminary credit evaluation is included with the admission letter sent to most students. In general, transfer credit is awarded for college-level courses in fields of study offered at Millersville that were completed with a grade of C- or higher through a regionally accredited institution. For institutions with other grading scales, courses in which the applicant has earned a grade above the lowest passing grade are accepted.

To earn a Millersville degree, transfer students are required to complete a minimum of 30 semester hours through Millersville, including 50 percent of their major department requirements (excluding student teaching).

Students who have been awarded transfer credit for a particular course, and subsequently complete the same course at Millersville,  forfeit the transfer credit.

Transfer credits are not used in computing Millersville GPAs.

Military personnel and veteran applicants who do not meet standard transfer admissions criteria can be admitted on full-time probationary status.



Applicants for the B.S. in Music Industry, the B.A. in Music and the B.S.Ed. in Music Education, including transfer applicants and certification students, are required to audition with a solo performance and to take a musical proficiency test.  Information about the audition procedure and dates may be obtained from the music department website or by calling  717-871-4701.


The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.) degree program is designed for registered nurses who are graduates of accredited diploma or associate degree nursing programs. Admission requirements to Millersville’s nursing program are:

  1. Evidence of scholarship as shown by an official transcript from an accredited diploma school of nursing or an accredited associate degree in nursing program.
  2. Licensure as a registered nurse in the state of residence and/or clinical practice. RN candidates for licensure will be admitted pending successful completion of state licensure requirements.

The Dual Admission in Nursing Program, in conjunction with Harrisburg Area Community College, provides the opportunity for the student to apply for dual admission to the University as well as the community college. This dual admission enhances student learning by providing access to an array of academic services in support of attaining the bachelor’s degree in nursing. Formal admission to the major in nursing at Millersville University occurs upon graduation from Harrisburg Area Community College.


Former students in good academic standing at the time of their official withdrawal may apply for readmission at any time. Those who were dismissed for academic reasons must interrupt their enrollment for at least one semester. (Refer to the Academic Standards section.) Those who subsequently attended another institution must have an official transcript forwarded by that institution to the Millersville University admissions office.

Reentering students are subject to the curriculum and graduation requirements in effect at the time of their readmission, with the exception of those students who reenter within one year of their official withdrawal or dismissal. These students have the option of continuing under the curriculum and graduation requirements in effect for them at the time of their withdrawal or dismissal.


Millersville occasionally places more stringent admissions requirements on certain degree programs. Students interested in certain programs may be admitted to the University but denied admission to a specific program. Once studies at Millersville are successfully under way, students may formally request to transfer into other majors if they meet minimum departmental standards and if space is available.


Former Millersville University students applying for readmission following a minimum absence of five years since the end of their last semester are eligible to petition for academic amnesty if their cumulative grade point average (CGPA) was below 2.0 at departure. The petition must be in the form of a letter of appeal to the Academic Standards Committee, sent in care of the registrar’s office.

In order to be eligible to petition for academic amnesty, the former student must complete an application for readmission to undergraduate degree status. If academic amnesty is granted, the calculation of the CGPA is restarted with the new matriculation semester.

Under academic amnesty, all previous coursework and grades remain on the permanent record but are not included in the calculation of the Millersville University CGPA after amnesty is granted. Students may use courses taken in the pre-amnesty period to fulfill general education requirements if a grade of C- or higher was earned in the course.


Anyone with a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university may apply to earn a second bachelor’s degree. All second-degree students must declare a major at the time they apply for admission.


Individuals who are high school graduates or hold a General Education Development (GED) certificate may choose this alternative entry into a degree program without taking the SAT or ACT test. These students should first apply to the University as nondegree students. Upon completing 12 credits in at least two subject areas with an average of 2.0 or higher, they may then apply for degree-seeking status.


Millersville University serves adult and non-traditional students who wish to pursue academic interests while also fulfilling work and/or family responsibilities. Courses and programs enable students to reach educational goals by attending college on a full-time or part-time basis. Most adult students participate in evening, off-campus, online and weekend classes. However, some courses may have additional sections available during the day and can be taken if a student is interested.   

Applicants who meet all criteria for admission will be admitted with the same full privileges as other degree-seeking students. Students who are missing prerequisites may be accepted into a program but will need to successfully complete prerequisite courses in order to remain enrolled in the program and retained at the University. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required to remain at the University. Some programs may have more stringent requirements based on accreditation standards. New students may begin the admissions process in the spring, fall or summer semester.

If you have taken courses at another college or university, official college transcripts are required from all colleges previously attended.  This enables us to create an effective and efficient plan to help you attain your degree.

Opportunities also exist for the adult who did not demonstrate strong academic interests in high school. The only required admission credential is a diploma and official transcript from an approved secondary school, a Commonwealth Secondary School Diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate.

Students who are granted admission will be assigned an academic advisor in their major field. Students who do not meet the academic requirements for a specific major may be admitted as an undeclared student and assigned an undeclared advisor. The undeclared advisor will assist students to create a plan so they may reapply for admission to a specific major. Adult students are urged to meet with advisors well before the beginning of the semester to determine course selections. For additional information on off-campus, evening, weekend and online offerings and programs, contact the CGSAL at, or at 717-871-7171.


Post-Baccalaureate Teaching Certification Students

Anyone with a bachelor’s degree may apply for courses leading to initial or additional teaching certification as a full-time or part-time student. For teaching certification requirements, contact the certification office, Stayer Hall, Room 120. To apply for admission, contact the CGSAL, Lyle Hall.

PASSHE Visiting Students

The purpose of the PASSHE Visiting Student program is to facilitate undergraduate student enrollment at institutions of Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education and to enable students to take advantage of courses available across the System, without loss of institutional residency, eligibility of honors or athletics, or credits toward graduation at the home institution.

See the Special Academic Opportunities section of this catalog.

Transient Students from Other Colleges

Students in good academic standing who are on leave from a degree program at another college may apply to Millersville as part-time transient students.

Students from Franklin & Marshall College and Lancaster Theological Seminary

Millersville University has reciprocal agreements with these two institutions. Franklin & Marshall College may, upon appropriate authorization, send students to Millersville for courses not offered at Franklin & Marshall, without a tuition charge from Millersville. Similarly authorized full-time graduate students from Lancaster Theological Seminary may enroll in undergraduate and graduate-level courses at Millersville without a tuition charge by Millersville.

Millersville students may also take advantage of these agreements and enroll for courses at these institutions. See the Special  Academic Opportunities section for more information.

High School Students (Dual Enrollment)

Qualified high school juniors and seniors may take credit-bearing courses at Millersville while pursuing their high school diplomas. Applicants must submit an official high school transcript. They must also complete a special high school student application form. This form, along with approved dual-enrollment courses, can be found on the admissions website. Participation in the program does not guarantee later admission as a degree-seeking student. Homeschooled students pursuing a Pennsylvania Homeschoolers Association diploma or other regionally recognized homeschooling certifying program are also encouraged to apply, submitting officially certified transcripts.


Millersville University meets all criteria for approval of Veterans Education under the provisions of Title 38, United States Code, Section 1775 (a)(1). DANTES and USAFI courses are considered for transfer credit in accordance with the recommendations of the Commission of Accreditation for Service Experiences of the American Council on Education.

The Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 (applicable to students who receive benefits under the Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness & Employment and/or Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®) states that students who are entitled to education assistance will not impose any penalty. A penalty includes the assessment of late fees and denial of access to classes, libraries or other institutional facilities. The University may not require individuals to borrow additional funds to cover a balance to the University that is caused by a delayed payment from the VA under Chapter 31 or Chapter 33.

The statute allows Millersville University to require Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness & Employment and Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® students to take the following additional actions:

  • Submit a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for entitlement to educational assistance no later than the first day of a course of education.
  • Submit a written request to use such entitlement (VA enrollment certification form).
  • Provide additional information necessary to the proper certification of enrollment by the educational institution.

Under section 3679 of Title 38, Millersville University is authorized to require additional payment or impose a fee for the amount that is the difference between the amount of the student’s financial obligation and the amount of the VA education benefit disbursement.

‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at”

Veterans, reservists, VA Readiness & Employment participants and eligible dependents with questions about educational benefits should contact the university School Certifying Official in the Financial Aid Office at or 717-871-5478. The Veteran Resource Center is available to provide support resources and can be reached at 717-871-4343.

Auditing Courses

An individual who is not concerned with earning credit may audit a course upon approval of the course’s instructor. An auditing student attends classes and participates in class discussions but does not take examinations, write papers or fulfill other requirements generally associated with earning credit. The student’s transcript does not record a grade but notes that the course was audited. Standard tuition and fees are charged. Ordinarily no more than one course may be audited per semester.

Students enrolled in a degree program may also request audit privileges. See the Special Academic Opportunities section of this catalog.

Continuing Education

Continuing education students experience the best of Millersville University one class at a time. Choose from hundreds of undergraduate and graduate courses that can be taken as not-for-credit. Enjoy vibrant discourse with your fellow classmates and the guidance of the University’s renowned faculty. Many classes meet online or at night. Enrollment is limited to space available after the drop/add period for matriculated (degree-seeking) students. For more information on how to enroll for noncredit as a nondegree student, contact the CGSAL, Lyle Hall, 717-871-4723.


Advanced Placement Examinations (AP)

Credit is granted to students earning scores of 3 or higher on AP examinations. The number of credits awarded depends on the academic major, AP subject area and departmental recommendation. Contact your high school guidance office for information on taking an AP examination. Students must be admitted to undergraduate, degree-seeking status and be currently enrolled to be eligible for an AP credit award. A score report from the College Board must be sent to Millersville University. Visit for more information regarding score reports.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

CLEP is a program of the College Board that includes both general and subject examinations. Six credits are awarded for scores of 50 or above on each of the CLEP general examinations: College Composition (with or without essay); Humanities; College Mathematics; Natural Sciences; and Social Sciences and History.

Three to six credits are awarded to students who earn a score of 50 or above on the CLEP subject examinations.  Contact the registrar’s office at regarding credit awards.

Challenging Courses by Examination

Students who feel they have already mastered the material in a Millersville course may “challenge the course by examination,” taking a test on the course content instead of enrolling for the course itself. Students may challenge most courses in which they have not received a grade, and which have not been waived because of demonstrated competency or advanced placement. Because of content and structure, some courses may not be challenged by examination.

Contact the registrar’s office, Lyle Hall, for instructions, fee information and approval forms. The examination is given at the convenience of the instructor. The grade earned is entered on the student’s record and calculated into the GPA whether or not a passing grade is earned. Standard tuition and fees are charged.

In some instances, department chairpersons may approve the use of a CLEP subject examination to challenge a course by examination. See the preceding section on CLEP for more information.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Program 

Millersville University recognizes the value of the rigorous IB Program and considers it seriously when evaluating the credentials of admission applicants. For students entering with the IB Diploma or Certificate, credit may be awarded for a score of five or higher on examinations in higher level (HL) IB courses. Such credit is generally awarded on a course-by-course basis as recommended by the appropriate Millersville University department. The University does not give credit for standard level (SL) examinations.  Credit awarded for IB higher level examinations may be used to satisfy general education requirements, major or minor requirements, or electives in the same manner as Advanced Placement (AP). Students will not receive duplicate credit for IB examinations, AP examinations, CLEP examinations or any other college courses taken before or after enrolling at Millersville University. In the event of overlapping course content, credit will be given for only one course.  International Baccalaureate transcripts should be submitted to the Office of Admissions, Millersville University, P.O. Box 1002, Millersville, PA 17551-0302. Students can request transcripts through their high school IB coordinator within the first year after high school graduation. Thereafter, transcripts can be requested from the International Baccalaureate Program, North America, 475 Riverside Drive, 16th Floor, New York, NY 10115, (212) 696-4464.